Monday, August 07, 2006

A Tranquil Night

Before my bed a pool of light -
Can it be hoarfrost on the ground?
Looking up, I find the moon bright;
Bowing, in homesickness I'm drowned.


In the Quiet Night

So bright a gleam on the foot of my bed –
Could there have been a frost already?
Lifting myself to look, I found that it was moonlight.
Sinking back again, I thought suddenly of home.


- LI BAI or LI PO



Spring Morning

This spring morning in bed I'm lying,
Not to awake till birds are crying.
After one night of wind and showers,
How many are the fallen flowers?


A Spring Morning

I awake light-hearted this morning of spring,
Everywhere round me the singing of birds –
But now I remember the night, the storm,
And I wonder how many blossoms were broken.


- MENG HAORAN

both from the TANG DYNASTY
(courtesy of HanMei, my friend from Hubei)


No comments:

Post a Comment